Monday, November 26, 2007

Say Farewell to Music


Many of us who really fond of music think that days would be dull without it. I did. Started my morning with music, usually bossanova samba, and ended my night with soft music of Richard Clayderman or the voice of Nat King Cole, till the tape recorder end itself. Singing was part of me that times in shower rarely spent without a song. Every time I saw guitar I felt the urge to play and sing out loud, and I did. Where ever I went, if someone played my favorite song, I would have stopped and listened for a while before continued.


I had been long tied by music, that once I thought I could not live without it. Never imagine that one day I would left it behind completely. My computer was filled with music that I think even more than my study material. My internet connection was mainly used to download hundreds of my favorite music.


Than came a day when I heard the report from the Prophet صلا الله عليه وسلم for the first time. It was in Islamic Room of Yahoo Messenger. There was a hot discussion about Music is Forbidden in Islam. I was interested, and joined in the battle, off course, being very fond of music, on the side of those who refuse the hadits. We came up with some silly arguments that I would have laugh on it now. “How could I live without music, how could someone been thrown to the hellfire just because listening to music?” “Off course you can!” Someone replied. “Don’t you know the hadits of the Prophet
الله عليه وسلم?” and he started pasting the hadits in the room several times:


لَيَكُوْ نَنَّا مِنْ اُمَّتِىْ اَقْوَامٌ مِنْ يَسْتَحِلُّوْنَالْحِرَّوَ الْحَرِيْرَ وَالْخَمْرَ وَالْمَعَازْفَ


"From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcoholic drinks and the use of musical instruments, as lawful.” [1]


“Didn’t I have the same thought before? I was a guitarist, playing from one pub to another, then I came to know Islam, and now I give up my guitar.” He continued something like that, and that if I remember correctly (for it happened 4 years back) he is a Muallaf[2]. I left the room with a great annoyance. How could something as beautiful and entertaining as music, the source of inspiration for thousands of people is considered unlawful?


And I began searching other arguments to back up my feels for music. I found that there were scholars who said that the hadits is weak for some reason, one of which Ibn Hazm, may Allah have mercy on him and followed by other scholars years after him, like Dr. Muh. Al-Gazali in his critical analysis of some of hadits an-nabawiyyah. But then on the other hand, finding proof and evidence explained by Ibnu Qayyim, may Allah have mercy on him, in his two books Ighatsatul lahfan min Masya’iris Syaithan and Khilatul Ghitaa al Hukmee Samaa’el Ghinaa (translated version) based on the hadits, the saying of the Prophet companions, and previous scholars makes the argument against the other one (of Ibn Hazm) stronger. Asy-Syaikh Albani, may Allah have mercy on him, the scholar of hadits in thin century, confirmed that the hadits is authentic, along with a strong argument[3]


After all the truth unfolded, how could I keep resisting?


Allah سبحنه وتعال ordered :

وَمَا آتَاكُمُ الرَّسُولُ فَخُذُوهُ وَمَا نَهَاكُمْ عَنْهُ فَانْتَهُوا

“…And whatsoever the Messenger gives you, take it, and whatsoever he forbids you, abstain (from it) , and fear Allah. Verily, Allah is Severe in punishment.” (Al-Hasyr : 7)


And the Messenger
صلى الله عليه وسلم warned us from music, leveled it with illegal sexual intercourse and alcoholic drinks as stated in the above hadits, how would I dare keep resisting?


Allah stated:

وَمَنْ يُشَاقِقِ الرَّسُولَ مِنْ بَعْدِ مَا تَبَيَّنَ لَهُ الْهُدَى وَيَتَّبِعْ غَيْرَ سَبِيلِ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ نُوَلِّهِ مَا تَوَلَّى وَنُصْلِهِ جَهَنَّمَ وَسَاءَتْ مَصِيرًا

“And whoever contradicts and opposes the Messenger after the right path has been shown clearly to him, and follows other than the believers way. We shall keep him in the path he has chosen, and burn him in Hell - what an evil destination.” (An-Nisaa : 115)


For sure no one with a good notion on his head would ever dare opposing the Messengerصلى الله عليه وسلم and choosing the hellfire instead.


And Allah said:

فَلا وَرَبِّكَ لا يُؤْمِنُونَ حَتَّى يُحَكِّمُوكَ فِيمَا شَجَرَ بَيْنَهُمْ ثُمَّ لا يَجِدُوا فِي أَنْفُسِهِمْ حَرَجًا مِمَّا قَضَيْتَ وَيُسَلِّمُوا تَسْلِيمًا


“But no, by your Lord, they can have no Faith, until they make you judge in all disputes between them, and find in themselves no resistance against your decisions, and accept (them) with full submission.” (An-Nisa : 65)


And over this dispute of music, Allah’s Apostle
صلى الله عليه وسلم has stated that it is unlawful. So think, do we still consider our self as a believer (Mu’min) when we choose not to obey the Messengerصلى الله عليه وسلم?


Reaching at this stage, I think you and I will reach the same conclusion: “Lets say farewell to music.”


It is not easy, I know. Rather it is very difficult for those who addicted to it. But fear Allah, if we meant to achieve His blessing. Make priority; is it the entertainment for a short while in this perish world is more important than the entertainment in the hereafter? Our obedience is an indicator of the faith we have, and again in the Qur’an Allah has stated “…they can have no faith, until they make you judge in all disputes between them…”


Consider this well, and start thinking to remove all your collections.


I did the same these past two years, and with a strong intention, it was not so difficult after all. Here are some tips which I have also published in other blog:

  1. Put a strong intention on your mind to leave music completely as the implementation of love and obedience to Allah سبحنه وتعال and His Apostle صلى الله عليه وسلم
  2. Start replacing your music collection from your computer with qur’an recitation or lectures from people of knowledge who follows the way of shalafus-shaleh.
  3. Stop downloading music from the internet and download lectures from people of knowledge which you could find many on the internet.
  4. Change the ringtone of your handy from your favorite music to the classic ringtone and also remove all your musik collection with qur’an recitation. Choose the one you like most for example Syaikh Mishari Rashid al-Efasi, Syaikh Al Ghamidi, Syaikh As-Sudais, Syaikh Al-Kundury or others.
  5. There will be times when you feel to you want to grab the old habit again. Especially when you feel lonely, restless, confused, Try to alter your attention, take wudhu’ and read the Qur’an, because this Book of Allah is the pain killer for all heart diseases, the best that could entertain the heart.
  6. Sometimes, unconsciously we sing to our self from lyrics we have known for years. Keep a deep breath and start asking yourself. How many verses of the Qur’an you had memorize, or how many hadits have you put on your mind? Maybe the answer afterwards will make you feel a shame with yourself.
  7. Start transferring your room as a small library with books that is good to increase the quality of your faith, and continuously removing your music collection.


We ask Allah for forgiveness, and with Allah lies (all) the success.

_______________

[1] Shahih Bukhari Volume 7, Book 69, Number 494v Narrated Abu 'Amir or Abu Malik Al-Ash'ari

[2] A new converted to Islam

[3] Silsilah al-Hadits Ash-Shahihah vol. 1 number 91. (An article about it could be found in this blog, please check in Al-Qur’an dan Hadits category – in bahasa only)

[4] This verse and the rest is translated by DR. M. Taqiud-Din & DR. M. Khan

3 comments:

  1. afwan ana copy "Say Farewell to Music"

    sukron jazila..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mashallah! I really like this article of yours. I also had the same problem..but I was young and not a practising muslimah, so the first thing I did was on the music in the mornings until it is time to go off to work, and Allah guide me to the deen and I completely stoped listening to music, it was not difficult at all for me..mashallah. barakhallahu feekum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allhamdulillah, Allah makes it easy the act of obedience for whom He whishes, according to one's effort.

    Wafeekum barakallah

    ReplyDelete